Labor shortages continue to be a challenge for growers across the United States and data from the US Department of Labor shows double-digit increases in the use of the H2A guest worker visa program. Many growers still do not avail themselves of this option and for many, cost is the primary unknown factor. To that end, AgSafe received grant funding from the Western Extension Risk Management Education Center to create the H2A Guest Worker Visa Program Cost Estimator.
The Estimator includes:
- The H2A Cost Estimator interactive tool
- Is H2A Right for You? (educational video)
- Effective Management Strategies for your H2A Workforce (educational video)
- How to Use the H2A Guest Worker Visa Program Cost Estimator (educational video)
The interactive tool is designed to provide growers with significantly greater information about the true, complete cost of using this program. The Estimator was created with data provided confidentially by current users of the H2A program. It reflects the conservative averages based on their experiences, which vary greatly based on a wide variety of factors, including:
- The number of workers needed
- The length of the work contract
- The state(s) where workers are brought
- The commodities grown
Users of the tool are encouraged to conduct research around these factors and the subsequent impact on overall expenses. For questions about the H2A Guest Worker Visa Program Cost Estimator or any of the issues impacting worker safety, health or human resources, contact AgSafe at 209-526-4400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This material is based upon work supported by USDA/NIFA under Award Number 2018-70027-28587.