Salary Range: Competitive Salary based on Experience ($80K-$115K)
Schedule: 40 hours per week, will require overtime
Benefits: health, dental, voluntary vision, long term disability, group term life, 401k matching, unlimited PTO and paid holidays
Capay Farms was established in 2011 as the orchard management organization for Violich Farms (founded in 1987). Over the past three decades, Violich Farms has become one of the largest growers of almonds and walnuts in the United States. Today, Capay Farms operates approximately 12,000 acres of company-owned, and leased land. The main office of Capay Farms is located just North of Hamilton City outside of Chico, CA. Capay Farms manages orchards in Glenn, Butte, and Tehama counties.
Job Summary: The Controller is responsible for overseeing the financial and accounting functions of this private, family-owned, company and its multiple entities. The accounting manager will develop and contribute to finance organizational strategies by providing financial and accounting information, analysis, and recommendations to strategic thinking. This position will be utilizing Accumatica, Workforce Go! and Tableau.
Description of Job Duties:
- Oversees all finance and accounting functions, which includes managing the finance team, AP, AR, Payroll, and government filings (IRS, EDD, FTB)
- Prepares accurate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements in accordance with company policies and with industry standards
- Responsible for managing and developing financial budgets and forecasting for the ranch locations, Company Hulling, Outside Clients, and the management company
- Ensures all payroll activities are compliant in accordance with California and Federal wage standards
- Develops and establishes finance operational strategies by evaluating trends; establishing critical measurements; for productivity, and quality metrics; designing systems and processes; allocating resources; resolving issues; and implementing change.
- Reviews the allocation of farm management fees, equipment fees, labor burden on a routine basis to ensure all customers are billed appropriately and timely
- Oversees all crop accounting including crop yields, orchard budgets and cashflow projects, customer billings, harvest tracking, and cultural costs
- Supports owners with annual tax return preparation and communication with accountant
- Works with IT for managing accounting/financial software systems and assisting other management in evaluating processes and systems that will work together to reduce redundancy and increase accuracy of the data collected
- Responsible for tax strategy, audit, and asset allocations as it relates to the company and clients
- Develop administrative staff (excluding HR) by managing performance, setting goals, providing ongoing training, and maintaining strong employee relationships.
- Responsible for business and land valuation when necessary
- Part of acquisition task force on potential development costs
- Handler involvement
- Monitor handler annual crop grading and returns
- Monitor and track handler payment cash flow
- Monitor lease percent crop share payments to landowners
- Work with CEO/ownership to determine annual crop distribution to handlers
- Oversee staff that monitor energy utilization (solar, gas, electric) at Grower ranches
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting
- 5+ years of progressive accounting experience with a portion of it being in a supervisory role
- Thorough knowledge of US GAAP
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities across all levels of an organization
- Must be able to strategize; high level thinking to see the big picture
- Strong leadership skills with a dedication to driving and achieving results
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills. Experience with other financial systems
- Farming Experience preferred